Saha wa Afia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping

2 posters

Go down

Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping Empty Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping

Post by Aisha Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:51 pm

salaam

This is a recipe that my dear sister-in-law taught me several years ago. It has been well tried and tested and i have made my own variations on it (pineapple and white custard with coconut). Though I haven't made it for ages so there are no pics yet.

Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping Gateau10
Pineapple & White Custard Version (without cocoa powder)

Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate custard topping

Cake mix:
4-5 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups of flour (plain)
3 teaspoons baking powder
small pinch salt
1-2 teaspoons cocoa powder if making chocolate cake.

Chocolate custard topping:

2 cups milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

For the cake mix:
Whisk the eggs until white then add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is stiff and creamy.
Stir the oil gently into the mixture.
Sieve the dry ingredients ( flour, baking-powder, salt and cocoa) and  fold into the mixture in a figure of 8 pattern, turning the bowl as you go.

Pour into cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 200 deg Centigrade until cake has risen and a knife comes out clean when testing.

Chocolate custard topping:

Dissolve the cornflour, sugar and cocoa in a little of the milk and put the rest on to heat. When the milk is almost boiling add the rest and bring to the boil, stirring until it thickens.

Spread over the cake. If you want to split the cake to fill it with the custard you may need to increase the quantity of the custard. It is also nice with sliced banana with the custard in the middle.

To decorate sprinkle with chopped nuts or flaked almonds or even crushed chocolate wafer bars.

TIP:If you are in a hurry you can cool the custard by placing the saucepan in a bowl of cold water and stir the custard so that a skin doesn't form.

Last edited by Aisha on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping Empty Re: Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 am

salaam

This cake sounds so nice since I love cake, custard, chocholate......
I tried it yesterday. I divided the batter into 2 9inch round tins to make a layer cake.
The only problem was, that I by mistake put the salt for the baby's rice into the custard, that I was cooking at the same time Rolling Eyes I am definetly not a great multitasker!
I made the white cake with chocholate custard and bananas in the middle. We would have loved it, if it wasn't for the salty taste and will try it again soon cheers salaam Umm Abderrahman.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping Empty Re: Sponge-Cake /Gateaux (whisking method) and Chocolate topping

Post by Zaza Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Wow sister Umm Abderrahman, I can't remember how many times I used salt instead of sugar.

What did you do with the cake then? a-yellow-lemon

JazakAllahu Khairan sister Aisha for sharing this recipe. Now I need to find someone to make it for me. baking
Zaza
Zaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm

salaam Sr Zaza !

Mashallah, you make me laugh cheers
I think we are about the same cooking level, mashallah.
What I did with the cake. Well, my family is big and hungry, mashallah.
We ate it, it had a slightly better taste after cooling down and we keept dreaming about how it would come out next time ! spongecake

Wa aleikum asalaam,
Umm Abderrahman.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaza Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 am

As Salamu Alaikum

Alhamdulillah you ate it after all. ice2cream Masha Allah you have a great family. yellow-bouquet

Something to look forward to next time. Insha Allah.

I wonder if a day will come when we can actually email food. tea-n-cookies

That will be great.....I can retire from the kitchen then. hunny-pot
Zaza
Zaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Asalaamu aleikum wrwb.

Yes, that would be great if we could send eachother dishes via e-mail pizza For now we have to do with the stickers crazy-apple-green a-red-apple a-yellow-lemon

My daughter went ahead and made this cake again. She doubled the amount of custard. It was a pit shaky with all the filling, but very yummy dancing-gingerbreads
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisha Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 am

salaam

Wa jazakumAllahu khairan. Smile
MashaAllah you tried my recipe! I have not made this for ages. The more custard that is used the more this recipe becomes a pudding and the sponge part is fragile particularly with the weight of the custard - but as you say, very yummy! Very Happy
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 am

assalamu alaykum

I always make sponge cakes but I'll try to add the choc topping insha'Allah!
jazakAllahu khayran
Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down