Saha wa Afia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup)

2 posters

Go down

Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup) Empty Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup)

Post by Aisha Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:39 am

salaam

This is the soup that we have almost daily in Ramadan and at other times of the year too. It is usually made with lamb  but can also be made with chicken or fish.

a-cooking-pot Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup) a-cooking-pot

Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup) ShurbaLibbiyyah_zps2950807d

Ingredients:

1/2 kilo / 1lb lean lamb cut into 1-2 cm pieces (some bones from the meat to add flavour if available). More or less meat can be used according to number of servings needed.
1 onion (chopped finely)
2 ripe tomatoes (chopped or blended)
1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste or puree (some can be quite concentrated so use less)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon hararaat/ garam masala
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
small sprinkling of ground cinnamon
1-2 handfuls of pasta for soups (stelline / stars or birds' tongues)
a handful chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 teaspoon dried ground mint leaves

a-red-pot  a-cooking-pot  a-red-pot  a-cooking-pot  a-red-pot  a-cooking-pot  a-red-pot

In a saucepan fry the onion till soft then add the meat and continue to fry until brown.
Add the spices, salt, tomatoes, tomato paste and plenty of water to cover ( 1.5 litres approx). Cover and cook for approx 1 hour or until meat is almost cooked then add the pasta shapes and chopped coriander. Add more water and stir throughout the cooking. Continue to simmer until the pasta is cooked. Just before serving add the dried mint. Have some lemon wedges to squeeze into the soup if desired after serving.

Serve with some nice hot crusty bread as a first course.  sHa_shakeshout  

Let me know what you think of this recipe inshaAllah.

a-red-pot  a-cooking-pot  a-red-pot  a-cooking-pot  a-red-pot  a-cooking-pot  a-red-pot

Last edited by Aisha on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup) Empty Re: Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup)

Post by Munaqaba08 Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm

salaam

This sounds like it may be it. The one I had just had those slight variations. Jazakillahu khayr dear sis :001: Insha'Allah, I'll let you know how it turns out. a-red-pot
Munaqaba08
Munaqaba08
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup) Empty Re: Shurba Libiyyah / Arabiyyah (traditional Lamb Soup)

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:07 am

salaam

I have to ask you sis Aisha, do you ever or do you know others who add orange flower water into their Libyan shorba?? I have had shorba at Libyan sisters' houses many times before so I was really shocked when I became friends with another sister who routinely adds OFW to her shorba. Maybe this is regional...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisha Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 am

salaam

Sorry for the late reply sister. No I have never heard of this. Maybe, as you say, it could be regional.
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:19 am

As'salaamu Alaykum

Maa shaa'Allah this sounds very good. I have been looking for more soup recipes, Alhamdulilah. BaarakAllahu feeki ya ukhti!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisha Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am

salaam

Wa feeki barakAllah dear sister flower3 I am sure that you won't be dissappointed inshaAllah a-red-pot
My mum-in-law makes a lower fat version using a mixture of lamb and steak mashaAllah. She prepares enough for several days, freezing the ready cut portions of meat. Also she freezes parsley, ready-chopped. BarakAllahu feeha mashaAnim
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisha Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 pm

salaam

There is now a pic added to this recipe flower3
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down