Saha wa Afia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty!

2 posters

Go down

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Empty Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty!

Post by Aisha Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 am

salaam

Did anyone reading this ever sprout lentils or other grains?
I first tried sprouting lentils years ago and you should try this at least once. The lentil sprouts can be eaten raw as a healthy snack, added to salads or can be added to stir-fries at the end of cooking. Lentils take just a few days to sprout small roots and shoots and are very nutritious.

You need:
A cup or two of whole lentils (green or brown)
N.B. red split lentils won't sprout so don't waste your time or your lentils!
A container with an airtight lid (or you can use a deep dish and cover with cling film).
Fresh water.

Wash the lentils and pick out any stones or discoloured lentils.
Soak overnight (or for several hours) in water in a covered container in a dark cupboard.
After the lentils have soaked for several hours you should see that they have absorbed some of the water and become swollen.
Discard the soaking water and rinse the lentils in fresh water (a sieve is very useful at this stage).
Place the rinsed and strained lentils back in the container and cover and return to a dark cupboard.
Continue to rinse and strain the lentils and cover and place in a dark place twice a day for a couple of days until the sprouts have grown to a few millimitres when they will then be ready to eat inshaAllah.

I have some lentils that I soaked the day before yesterday and here's a pic of them now:

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Sprout10
These won't be ready for a few more days inshaAllah (as long as they get the care they need). I hope to be able to post more pics to show their progress inshaAllah.

For info about the benefits of sprouted seeds and grains you can do a google search. Some seeds are not to be sprouted as they are poisonous e.g. tomato seeds and potato sprouts so please do some more research first if you're feeling adventurous!
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Empty Re: Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty!

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 am

salamu aleykum,

barakAllahu fiki for reminding me sprouts, i used to grow them before, i love to eat them on bread or in salads.
I never tried lentils but i would like to try, i used to take alfalfa grains, do you know?
The interest in growing sprouts is that the vitamins and minerals are multiplied mashAllah! And it takes not much place!

salam
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Empty Re: Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty!

Post by Aisha Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 am

As-Salaamu alaikum

I have tried Alfalfa sprouts - I think it was in Switzerland but we don't have them in Libya as far as I know. I took another pic of the lentils before we ate them. InshaAllah I will add a new pic. I have another bowl of lentils starting to sprout now mashaAllah. I was very keen on sprouting when I first learnt about it more than 20 years ago when i still lived in the U.K.. I remember sprouting sunflower seeds, wheat and mung beans as well as lentils. I think that wheat sprouts need to be boiled a little before eating though.
Let me get my camera for the new pic inshaAllah.
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaza Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 pm

salaam

This is all new too me. crazy-apple-green

I have seen lentils like the picture you posted sister Aisha in Arabian restaurants and always wondered how someone could eat raw lentils.

Insha Allah I must give this a try.. I like munching and you did say it is a healthy snack. redpuffyflowers
Zaza
Zaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Wa alay kuma salaam wa rahamatulahe wa baraktu,

Cool thank you so much sister I was thinking to do mung bean sprouts I just love eating them. There are so many health benefits to spouts wow. I will try this out I have some brown lentils now I will take pictures at the end of the process Insha'Allah.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:06 pm

So I had a big plastic jar with a lid I put hols in the lid rinsed the lentils and covered them with water. I will let them soak over night then continue the process. I did 1/2 cup I want them to get really long lol I guess it would take about 1 week.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisha Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:20 pm

salaam 

I wondered when someone else would try sprouting. Inshaallah you will enjoy your lentil sprouts.
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 am

It is going very well a few more days and they should be done I want them very long.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 am

So I ate some of them today they turned out great. I am going to rinse them one more time tonight and put them in the fridge tomorrow Insha'Allah. I took some pics and also of how I ate them for lunch I will upload them soon Insha'Allah. Jazak'Allah khair sister Aisha I am so happy with this.......
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:18 am

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Dscn0515

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Dscn0516

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Dscn0517

Sprouted Lentils! Simple, nutritious and tasty! Dscn0518
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisha Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 am

salaam 

MashaAllah sister well done! They look delicious.They really deserve to be called sprouts. I tried making some more recently but the lentils I used were not very successful at sprouting - I must get some fresher ones inshaAllah. Cool Wa jazakiallahu khairan. I am so happy for you too alhamdulilah.
mashaAnim 
Aisha
Aisha
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am

Uhhh thanks so much sister well I did read online that the regular ones from the grocery store wont work so I socked them in water for a 48 hours lol. Then I did the 2 rinses a day they did start to smell like alcohole so I thought they would be wasted but they don't smell like it anymore and there is no taste at all so alhumdolilah they were fine...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:22 pm

As salaamu alay kum,

I am just finishing up the rest of my sprouts now Insha'Allah I will do more tonight...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 pm

As salaamu alay kum,

My second batch is done today I soke 1/2 cup lentils for 48 hours then rise 1 time in the morning and time at night for 4 days.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum