Saha wa Afia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yorkshire Puddings ''a l'Algerienne''...

Go down

Yorkshire Puddings ''a l'Algerienne''... Empty Yorkshire Puddings ''a l'Algerienne''...

Post by Khadi Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Assalamou aleikoum wa rhamatoullah wa barakatou

this is a ''mixed cultures'' hors d'oeuvre as I took 2 specialities from two countries and mixed them together Very Happy Very Happy but as my dear Mother in law has okey-ed it and done it herself while visiting me (and Mashallah, she is the perfect cook) , then, it cannot be bad Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

Ok, here come the Yorkshire puddings a la Algerienne.

regarding the yorkies (yorkshire puddings sunny ), I usually give 4/5 per person because these are small (even though I buy the standard size) but they are so light and crispy, and the men in my family eat heartily, Mashallah, I always have spare ones because it is never enough for them Very Happy ). I usually buy them ready made and frozen and I usually use Auntie Bessie's. They are suitable for vegetarians but I do not know if they are available outside the UK though.
But you can make your own if you are good at this kind of things. Just google Yorshire pudding recipes. It is a bit like a souffle , it seems to me Wink
For the sauce:

2 breasts of chicken cut in very small cubes
2 small carrots
1 can of parisian mushrooms (sliced mushrooms will do too - optional if you do not like mushrooms, then take out)
1 small jar of green olives sliced in two
2 bay leaves
1 onion finely chopped and 1 crushed clove of garlic
2 tablespoon of butter (
salt & pepper (plenty of pepper is good Very Happy )
spices : you can add some curcuma and some ras al hanout (if you do not have ras el hanout, add half a teaspoon of mild curry powder and half a teaspoon of cumin) to give it an ''authentic'' t aste Very Happy

in a pan, put the butter, add the onion finely chopped and the garlic either crushed or grated, saute for until soft and golden, add the chicken cut in small dices and the carrots cut in tiny dices. Add 2 glasses of water, salt and pepper and the bay leaves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and let cook unitl the carrots are nearly cooked.
In the meantime, boil the green olives in another pan for about 10 minutes. This is to take out the acid and salty taste.
if you do not have time to do this, just boil water in the kettle and soak your olives for as long as you can.
Then slice them in two and add them to the chicken mixture with the mushrooms. Add another glass of water if you need extra sauce.

When you are ready to heat, pre-heat oven, and then put your yorkshire pudding in it for about 4 minutes. They will expand and get crispy. Once they are baked, put them on a plate and add on them your chicken mixture. Serve immediately.

so easy, so quick and so tasty Mashallah.

Some people make this with a bechamel sauce, but I prefere the tajine version myself. It is lighter and healthier than bechamel... but bechamel is nice Very Happy Smile

now, why Yorshire puddings a l'Algerienne? because it is a variation of an algerian hors d'oeuvre called Vols au Vent
( i got that pic from a blog called http://culinarydelights.over-blog.com/article-33276155.html )

try and enjoy.

Khadi
Khadi
Khadi
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum