Saha wa Afia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cypriot Fried Haloumy Cheese (Saganaki Haloumi)

Go down

Cypriot Fried Haloumy Cheese (Saganaki Haloumi) Empty Cypriot Fried Haloumy Cheese (Saganaki Haloumi)

Post by Guest Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:32 am

salaam

Cypriot Fried Haloumy Cheese (Saganaki Haloumi)
By UmmBinat

Prep Time: 4 mins Total Time: 8 mins Serves: 4

About This Recipe:
"With a gluten free option. A very quick to prepare and tasty meze. We enjoy this as a delicious breakfast item or it could always be a snack! I serve the cheese with pita bread, our breakfast bread but a crusty bread would go very well too. Modified from The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos, Cyprus section."

Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) cheesehaloumy (or 250g called "haloom" in Arabic)
flour, for coating (To be gluten free I use a mix of white rice flour and half the amount of tapioca starch)
olive oil (use a =good quality one, & it is best to use unrefined)
1 lemons, cut in wedges
crusty bread (I use regular pita bread or to be gluten free, rice crackers)

Directions:
Cut cheese into 1/4 inch slices, dip in water and dredge in flour if desired (I do like it this way as it get's crispy).
Heat enough olive oil in a small frying pan to cover the base, fry cheese until slightly golden on each side.
Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and serve with the rest of the lemon wedges and a crusty bread or some pita to dip into the lemon flavoured oil.
Enjoy!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Cypriot Fried Haloumy Cheese (Saganaki Haloumi) Empty Re: Cypriot Fried Haloumy Cheese (Saganaki Haloumi)

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:50 am

Wa alay kuma salaam wa rahamatulahe wa barakatu,

Jazak'Allah khair sister.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down