Fried Chicken and Rice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fried Chicken and Rice

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54 pm

As Salamu Alaikum
A tasty meal that is a much enjoyed by my family.
This dish has many variations, some I have listed below and others I leave up to your imagination.The key here though, is that everything should be dry - there is no water or gravy added.
Note: There is no real frying (despite the name), instead all ingredients are pre-cooked and then lightly sauteed in some olive oil to bring all the flavours together.
Note 2: All measurements are approximate, you are free to increase or decrease according to your taste.
Note 3: The vegetables should not be over-cooked and mushy.It should be at the just cooked stage, otherwise the end-result will be a messy, unrecognizable dish

INGREDIENTS

2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 - 3 cups of cooked, steamed rice of your choice
2 - 3 chicken breast fillets, steamed and finely shredded
1 onion, chopped and lightly sauteed till just soft (not brown)
3 cloves of garlic chopped and added to the onions
a handful of chopped coriander or parsley
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Heat olive oil in a big pan on a moderate to high heat setting. Add shredded chicken and sautee for about 3 min. Add onions, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper and cook stirring for another minute or so. Add cooked rice and toss until all ingredients are well mixed, the flavours are well combined and all the food is heated through.
Serve with a salad of your choice.
Enjoy!

VARIATIONS

1. Instead of chicken, use braised steak cut into strips, cooked ground beef, tinned tuna, cooked sausages cut into slices or steamed and flaked filleted white fish.
2. Add about a handful selection of any of the following cooked, fried or steamed vegetables: chopped celery, matchstick carrots, sliced mushrooms, green/yellow/red peppers braised with the onion, cooked corn kernels, chopped spinach, chopped cabbage, sliced baby marrows(zucchini), cooked brown lentils or chillies.
3. Instead of seasoning only with salt and pepper you can add dried red chillies,a teaspoon of the rind of a lemon or orange or any of your favourite spice.
4. Besides coriander or parsley, add any other fresh or dried herb that you like.Example: oregano or other mixed herbs.
5. Instead of rice, use pasta.
cookfish

Back to top Go down

Re: Fried Chicken and Rice

Post by Zaza on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

mashaAnim another simple recipe.

JazakAllahu Khairan for sharing
Zaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:17 pm

salaam

I tried your recipe yesterday and the result was : It won cheers mashaAnim

my DH liked it and from your options I used small pieces of chicken alongwith 1 handful of mix vegetables and lil pinch of fenugreek..

Sister JazakAllahu Khairan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 am

Wa Alaiki Salaam
I am glad the recipe worked for you, sister. It is one of my favourites. yellow-bouquet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum