Umm Sayf's Falafel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Umm Sayf's Falafel

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 am

LOL. . .I really have no idea how "authentic" this is since I am not from a country that makes this, nor is my husband. . . and this recipe is truly my own - it has evolved from many years of tasty experiments in my own kitchen. . .
so here goes:

For the paste which can be made much in advance and frozen:
1lb chickpeas
1lb fava (aka broad) beans (you can omit these, and substitute another lb of chickpeas, but if you do use them, make sure that you get the ones that are already shelled. They should be white in color, not brown)
1 large onion
1 large bunch cilantro
1 bunch of greens (spinach or other greens) (optional)

Then, before actually cooking them you'll need:
Salt
Cumin
Coriander powder
red pepper
6 eggs
baking powder
1 cup cracked wheat (Bulgar) - rinsed and allowed to drain in a colander for 1/2 hour (optional)
1/2 cup semolina flour (optional)
Palm oil, lard, or shortening for frying

1. soak the beans in cool water overnight - up to 24 hours. (If you soak more than 12 hours, you will need to change the water half way through)
2. Drain beans, and grind them all in a food processor - in batches if necessary.
3. Chop the onion, cilantro and greens in the food processor, and add to the chopped beans. Mix well.
4. Re-process the bean mixture in batches until it is a paste-like consistency.
5. At this point the paste can be separated into family-sized portions and frozen for later use. My family of 5 only uses about 1/3 of this mixture at a time.

6. Just before frying, to each 1/3rd of the above paste add 2 beaten eggs, spices and salt to taste (about 1tbs. of salt, cumin, coriander, and 1/2 tsp of red pepper), 1tsp baking powder, and optionally, about 1/4 cup of semolina flour or 1/2 cup of soaked bulgar.
7. Mix well, and fry by the spoonful in hot palm oil or shortening.

Serve with Tahini sauce
(1 cup tahini, blended with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup - 1 cup yogurt, salt and 2tbs lemon juice) Yum!

Back to top Go down

Re: Umm Sayf's Falafel

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:51 pm

salaam

Thank you for this recipe, it seems like hard work but i'm sure it would be worth while InshaAllah.

Can you suggest what quantities i would need for 3 ppl? i KNOW i could work it out myself but worried about the number of eggs i would use, because you use 2 eggs for 1/3 of the mix and i would definately need less than a 1/3 of the mix so would i use just 1 egg?

I look forward to hearing from you InshaAllah

shinycherry JazakAllahu Khairan shinycherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaza on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:02 pm

As Salamu Alaikum

Masha Allah this will make a quick snack as the mixture can be frozen. A nice recipe for Ramadan too yellowfleurs

I'm going to move this topic to the Snack section of the forum.

JazakAllahu Khairan
Zaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:04 am

hmm. .. not sure, sister Asmaa about the quantities. But, you could do 1/3rd, and then refrigerate whatever pieces are not eaten up at that sitting. They reheat well in a slow oven. Smile
And yes, this is GREAT for ramadan, since you can make the paste ahead and freeze it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:04 pm

salaam

Thank you Umm Sayf.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: