Harira with Olives (Setif - Algeria)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Harira with Olives (Setif - Algeria)

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:52 pm

assalamu alaykum

I've been told that this is a traditional soup from Setif (Algeria)... I love it! Here is my recipe insha'Allah:

Here the ingredients (remember you can make it with any kind of meat, I just prefer it without, so it’s lighter):

* 1 potato
* 1 carrot
* 1 courgette
* 1 large onion
* half cup of passata (sieved tomatoes) or a tin of plum tomatoes
* 1 and 1/2 tsp of paprika
* 1 and 1/2 tsp of cumin
* 1 tsp of chilli powder (I use chilli flakes)
* 1 cup of pitted and cut green olives
* 1 veg stock cube
* 1 espresso cup of frik
* coriander
* salt & pepper
* olive oil
* lemon (to serve)

Add the olive oil in a large pan (I don’t know the quantity, about 4 tbsp I guess) and then the onion cut in big chuncks, leave it to cook on a medium heat for about 5 mins. In the meantime cut the veggies in big pieces (as you’ll have to blend them, so no need to waste time in cutting them in small pieces Wink ). Add them to the onion, stir, add cumin, paprika, chilli, stock cube and some coriander, stir and leave them for few minutes, then add the tomatoes. After 5 minutes, add some hot water, enough to cover all the ingredients. Take the frik and leave it to soak in the espresso cup with some water (it will double in volume). When the veggies are soft and ready, blend them, then add the frik and the olives. Finish the soup adding some salt and pepper to taste and some fresh coriander. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes. Serve with some lemon. ((I hope I haven’t forgotten anything))

I personally like this soup ’cause it’s very refreshing (in my opinion) and then I love chilli Very Happy

Last edited by um almujahid on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Harira with Olives (Setif - Algeria)

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 am

Assalam Alaykum sis, I made this soup last nite and my husband loved it! I try to make shorba freek every ramadan but each time my husband has a complain about it Smile Alhamdulillah he loved this one so I will definately be making it again InshAllah. We havent tried shorba with olives before as my husband isnt from steff but it was really nice. I added some lamb to it also and made it with the algerian bread recipe that you had. MashaAllah turn out good alhamdulillah. Look forward to trying more of your recipes InshaAllah. wassalam alaykum warahmatul Allah wa barakatuh.Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:20 am

wa alaykum salam

alhamdulillah! I'm glad u enjoyed the soup... and the bread masha'Allah !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Esalaamu aleikoum,

Olives? Interesting addition sis! will try out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum