My harira (soup of west Algeria)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My harira (soup of west Algeria)

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:04 pm

assalamu alaykum

in my home we are more "harira lovers" rather than shorba :hehe: here is my usual harira, I also make another one with olives, I'll post the recipe later on insha'Allah!

Ingredients

1 onion
1 potato
1 tomato
1 courgette
1 carrot
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp turmeric
1 stock cube
Half cup of lentils
1 can of chickpeas
1 small espresso cup of frik
olive oil
salt
black pepper
coriander (as much as you like)
lemon

In a large pot add some olive oil (usually 3/4 tbsp) and add the onion cut in 4. While the onion is cooking (until it's gold), cut all the veggies in big pieces, add them to the pot and stir. At this point add the spices (including salt & black pepper), then after 10mins or so, add the lentils and stock cube. Stir all together for about 5 minutes and then add some hot water. Cook until the veggies are soft. In the meantime, leave the frik in the cup of espresso, adding some water in it, so it will soak and get softer. Once the veggies are ready, blend them, after that add the chickpeas. Leave it cooking for about 15 mins, add the frik and the coriander and switch off the fire. Close the pot and leave it standing for a while before serving. Serve it with some lemon, insha'Allah!

PS: you can also make it with meat if you like, but I prefer it like that, I can eat meat as a main course Rolling Eyes

Last edited by um almujahid on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: My harira (soup of west Algeria)

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:50 am

salaam

JazakAllahu Khairan for sharing sister

asalam alaikum
ummmouhamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Munaqaba08 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:10 pm

salaam

JazakAllahu Khairan for sharing this recipe sister. If I want to add meat how would I do that? I mean at which point in the recipe? Also, what is frik please? jazakillahu khayr.
Munaqaba08
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Khadi on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Assalamou aleikoum wa rahmatoullah wa barakatou

I know the question was directed at sister Al Mujahid, but I do not think she saw it yet, so, Inshallah, I will try to answer it :hehe:

In most algerian recipes, you would usually add the meat first and carry on the rest of the recipe as described above.
Frik is crushed wheat but if you do not have in your corner store, buy bulghur and it will more or less do the same job but bulghur does not have the ''raw & wild'' taste of Frik, because bulghur is cleaned and parboiled when you buy whereas frik is not. You have to wash it before using and remove all bits and pieces of impurities from it.
Bulghur is whitish, frik is more of a greyish/dirty green color.
But if you can get your hands on some frik, then please, do so. The taste is much nicer and it is worth the little extra work of cleaning it :001:

Khadi
Khadi
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Munaqaba08 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 am

waalaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

jazakillahu khayr sis Khadija but agh! I went to the store and I totally forgot to look for the frik or the bulghur Shocked Insha'Allah, maybe tomorrow I can get some insha'Allah. I want to try this. I've had it before and its very good masha'Allah. Jazakillahu khayr sister um almujahid for posting the recipe.
Munaqaba08
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 pm

assalamu alaykum

jazakiAllahu khayran Khadija for explaining instead than me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Esalaamu aleikoum,

Harira is really a classic North African soup but surprisly there are so many ways to make it. Some puree it, some leave it whole.

Machallah your soup sounds delish Umujihad, kinda reminds me of Jari (Chourba frik)

I have my recipe here on my blog if anyone like to see:

*edited sorry

Last edited by Aisha on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove outside link - please post recipe only)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:08 am

salaam

I just saw sis Khadi's recipe for shorba and now this one... your recipe is more the way I make mine. Is your husband from Oran Um AlMujahid? I copied the way my Orani friend makes shorba as I find it easier than the way dh taught and alhamdu Lillah m-i-l approves, lol.

What's different with mine is no potato, tinned tomatoes instead of fresh (plus tomato paste), less spices (just cinnamon and sometimes chilli) and I put all the veg into the pot whole and puree before the chick pea and frik go in.

So simple and a delicious soup masha'allah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum